Introduction to Non-Woven Fabrics
Nonwovens are in fact products in their own right with their own characteristics and performances, but also weaknesses. They are around us and one uses them every day, often without knowing it. Indeed they are frequently hidden from view.
Nonwovens can be made absorbent, breathable, drapable, flame resistant, heat sealable, light, lint-free, mouldable, soft, stable, stiff, tear resistant, water repellent if needed. Obviously, though, not all the properties mentioned can be combined in a single nonwoven, particularly those that are contradictory.
- Personal care and hygiene:
- baby diapers, feminine hygiene products, adult incontinence items, dry and wet pads, but also nursing pads or nasal strips, bandages and wound dressings
- like operation drapes, gowns, and packs, face masks, dressings and swabs, osteomy bag liners, isolation gowns, surgical gowns, surgical drapes and covers, surgical scrub suits, caps
- interlinings, insulation and protection clothing, industrial workwear, chemical defense suits, shoe components, etc.
- wipes and dusters, tea and coffee bags, fabric softeners, food wraps, filters, bed and table linen, etc.
- boot liners, shelf trim, oil and cabin air filters, molded bonnet liners, heat shields, airbags, tapes, decorative fabrics, etc.
- roofing and tile underlay, thermal and noise insulation, house wrap, underslating, drainage, etc.
- asphalt overlay, soil stabilization, drainage, sedimentation and erosion control, etc.
- Hevac, Hepa, Ulpa filters, gasoline, oil, and air – including HEPA filtration, water, coffee, tea bags, liquid cartridge and bag filters, vacuum bags, allergen membranes or laminates with non-woven layers
- cable insulation, abrasives, reinforced plastics, battery separators, satellite dishes, artificial leather, air conditioning, coating.
- Agriculture, home furnishing, leisure and travel, school and office:
- soil stabilizers and roadway underlayment, foundation stabilizers, erosion control, canals construction, drainage systems, geomembranes protection, frost protection, • agriculture mulch, pond and canal water barriers, sand infiltration barrier for drainage tile